NOTICE OF PRIVACY PRACTICES
This Notice Describes How Medical Information About You May Be Used and Disclosed and
How You Can Get Access to This Information
PLEASE REVIEW CAREFULLY.
If you have any questions about this notice, please contact the Facility Privacy Officer.
Who Will Follow This Notice: This notice describes the facility’s practices and how the facility shares your information with others for treatment, payment and health care operations purposes.
Our Pledge Regarding Medical Information: We understand that medical information about you and your health care is personal. We are committed to protecting medical information about you. A record is created of the care and services you receive at this facility. This record is needed to provide the necessary care and to comply with legal requirements. This notice applies to all of the records of your care generated by the facility. Your personal physician may have different policies or notices regarding the physician’s use and disclosure of your medical information in the physician’s office or clinic.
This notice will tell about the ways in which the facility may use and disclose medical information about you. Also described are your rights and certain obligations we have regarding the use and disclosure of medical information.
HIGHLY CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION:
Federal and/or State law require special privacy protections for certain highly confidential information about you, including your health information that is maintained in psychotherapy notes. Similarly, Federal and/or State law may provide greater protections for the following types of information than HIPAA, in which case we will comply with the law that provides your information with the greatest protection and you with the greatest privacy rights: (1) mental health and developmental disabilities; (2) alcohol and drug abuse prevention, treatment and referral; (3) HIV/AIDS testing, diagnosis or treatment; (4) communicable diseases; (5) genetic testing; (6) child abuse and neglect; (7) domestic or elder abuse; and/or (8) sexual assault. In order for your highly confidential information to be disclosed for a purpose other than those permitted by law, your written authorization is required.
YOUR WRITTEN AUTHORIZATION:
We will first obtain your written authorization before using or disclosing your protected health information for any purpose not described above, including disclosures that constitute the sale of protected health information or for marketing communications paid for by a third party (excluding refill reminders, which the law permits without your authorization). If you provide the facility permission to use or disclose your medical information, you may revoke that permission, in writing, at any time. If you revoke your permission, we will no longer use or disclose your medical information for the reasons covered in your written authorization. You understand that we are unable to take back any disclosures already made with your permission, and that we are required to retain our records of the care that the facility provided to you.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION CONCERNING THIS NOTICE:
YOUR RIGHTS REGARDING YOUR MEDICAL INFORMATION
You have the following rights regarding medical information the facility maintains about you:
** NOTE: All Requests Must Be Submitted in Writing to the Facility Medical Records Department.
To inspect and copy medical information or to receive an electronic copy of the medical information that may be used to make decisions about you, you must submit a written request. If you request a paper copy of your information, we may charge a fee for the cost of copying, mailing or other supplies associated with your request.
If the facility uses or maintains an electronic health record with respect to your medical information, you have the right to obtain an electronic copy of the information if you so choose.
1. You may direct the facility to transmit the copy to another entity or person that you designate provided the choice is clear, conspicuous, and specific.
2. The facility may charge a fee equal to its labor cost in providing the electronic copy (e.g., costs may include the cost of a flash drive, if that is how you request a copy of your information be produced). If you request an electronic copy of your information, we will provide the information in the format requested if it is feasible to do so.
We may deny your request to inspect and copy in some limited circumstances. If you are denied access to medical information, you may request that the denial be reviewed. Another licensed health care professional, other than the person who denied your request, will be chosen by the facility to review your request and the denial. The facility will comply with the outcome of the review.
1. A licensed health care professional has determined, in the exercise of professional judgment, that the access requested is reasonably likely to endanger the life or physical safety of the individual or another person.
2. The protected health information makes reference to another person (unless such other person is a health care provider) and a licensed health care professional has determined, in the exercise of professional judgment, that the access requested is reasonably likely to cause substantial harm to such other person.
3. The request for access is made by the individual’s personal representative, and a licensed health care professional has determined, in the exercise of professional judgment, that the provision of access to such personal representative is reasonably likely to cause substantial harm to the individual or another person.
The first list you request within a12-month period will be free. For additional lists, we may charge you for the costs of providing the list. We will notify you of the cost involved and you may choose to withdraw or modify your request at that time before any costs are incurred.
You also have a right to request that a health care item or service not be disclosed to your health plan for payment purposes or health care operations. We are required to honor your request if the health care item or service is paid out of pocket and in full. This restriction does not apply to use or disclosure of your health information related to your medical treatment.
Crestwood Medical Center
One Hospital Drive
Huntsville, AL 35801